Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Responsible to: Mechanical Team Leader
Our Offer Includes:
- Competitive salary, company profit-sharing scheme, stakeholder pension and death in service scheme.
- Reward and recognition scheme.
- Flexible working – nine day fortnight.
- Generous paid holiday allowance, plus bank holidays.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will be working at senior level, as part of a small team of engineers designing new and maintaining existing products.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- As a member of the mechanical design team this role will take the lead on product designs under the supervision of the Mechanical Team Leader.
- To create and update solid models, assemblies and drawings using Solid works in line with BS8888 and company practice and to generate accurate bills of materials on the company's manufacturing system.
- To take the lead in the Mechanical team when the Mechanical Team Leader is unavailable, ensuring projects are running to schedule, concessions are assessed and approved/rejected, and ensure the rest of the team is running effectively focussing on relevant priorities.
- To work with the other engineering team members on projects and activities.
- To produce design-related documentation, including, specifications, manuals, assembly instructions, illustrations, costings and test procedures. Also to check and approve all documentation as required.
- Responsible for ensuring that work is carried out in accordance with the integrated management system.
- Actively contribute to continuous improvement so that we carry out our engineering activities in the most professional and efficient manner possible.
- To assist, as required, in the assembly and testing of prototypes.
- To undertake as required, customer and supplier visits by car. As such a full, clean, current driving licence is required.
- A Mechanical Engineering degree (II:1) preferred or equivalent.
- Extensive experience in detailed product design.
- Proven experience with analytical methods such as FEA, thermal and vibration analysis.
- Owing to the nature of the work, a precision engineering background is preferred.
- Experience in the design of complex mechanisms is beneficial.
Skills & Abilities:
- Confident and self-motivated.
- Creative and practical problem solver.
- Aptitude for continuous improvement.
- Keen eye for detail.
- Ability to organise both self and team to achieve deadlines.
- A team player with aptitude to take the lead role in projects.
- Results orientated, awareness of the importance of budgets and deadlines, ability to manage work within these constraints.
- Ability to think conceptually and translate design requirements into viable technical solutions under minimal supervision.
- Communication, influencing and interpersonal skills.
- Must be comfortable with working in the defence and security sectors.
- General knowledge of manufacturing methods such as machining, castings and mouldings.
- DFM and DFA experience.
- 3D CAD modelling in a manufacturing environment (preferably Solidworks).
- Some electronics knowledge desirable.
- Positive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Hands on.
- Team focused.
- Customer / Quality focused.
- Outcome / Solution focused.
Applicants to apply through the link below, uploading a CV and personal statement as to why you would like to be considered for this role.
Due to the nature of the work all candidates must be eligible to obtain security clearance to SC level.